[Sca-cooks] Period cream puffs?

Stanza693 at wmconnect.com Stanza693 at wmconnect.com
Mon Apr 14 08:58:05 PDT 2008

In a message dated 4/12/2008 10:19:31 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
sca-cooks-request at lists.ansteorra.org writes:

> Thank you Helewyse for posting that recipe and your redaction. I
> probably would have missed that as being a puffed pastry since I
> thought a frittour was more of a lumpy dough (things in the dough)
> and then fried, again without significant puffing. But the deep in
> the recipe, it does say "and when the fritters begin to be cooked
> they will crack,because by nature they puff up and become like medlars."
>
> Stefan

Stefan --

I just had an entry in the Outlands A&S competition that was most assuredly
not a puff pastry (although it did puff quite a bit in the frying), but it was
somewhat based on the recipe in Martino of Como called "Bun~uelos rellenos de
viento" or "Wind-filled Fritters".  Those are meant to puff up so they
*appear* to be filled, but are actually just air.

I was actually working on the Bun~uelos (almond fritters) recipe from the
Manual de Mugeres, but since that recipe told me to "prepare these as you would
those other fritters" I looked at a lot of other recipes before settling on a
redaction.  Everybody that tried them said they tasted very nice.

Constanza Marina de Huelva   </HTML>