[Sca-cooks] Period Cookbooks and Period to modern glosseries

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Apr 14 11:36:06 PDT 2008

This is actually a more complicated question than you probably realize.
For instance:
How much do you want to spend?
What languages do you read? Do you want works with adapted recipes or
just the
original recipes?
Which country and which time period?
Any preference for certain dishes or types of meals? Sweets, vegetarian,
everything?
Cooking skills?
How many cookbooks do you already own and what is your skill level?
Do you have access to a university library or large public library with
a collection?
Often I suggest that people attempt to see a large variety of these
books before
taking the plunge and buying volumes sight unseen. Prices can range from
a few dollars
to hundreds of dollars. It's not an inexpensive hobby.

Johnnae (playing librarian)