[Sca-cooks] Salma (Lamb and Round Noodles), was Khabisa with Pomegranate

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 1 09:04:51 PDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
< < < <   However, in the case of the Turkish recipes that she loaned me, it
is not just her wish that
I not publish the recipes.  Her publisher would have a fit...and might even
be able to bring legal action, if I violated the copyright on them, even
here.  This will be a means of earning income for her, so, in this case,
sharing out the recipes would, in effect, be taking money from not only her
pocket,  . . . . . . . . .

I really don't want folks to think that this is just a matter of
selfishness, which could be inferred from Urtatim's comment (I know that
can't be the way you mean it, dear lady...but it kind of came across that
way), but more a potentially legal situation.

Kiri > > > > > > >

As we've discussed here several times over the many years, though, recipes
are notoriously difficult (if not impossible) to protect with copyright
laws.  Change "1 cup sugar" to "1 cup fine granulated sugar" or "5.5 oz
sugar", and there you have a new recipe for the self same dish.  I
appreciate the protection of her work in terms of protecting the potential
matrketplace for sale of her book . . . but the copyright thing isn't so
much an issue for the recipes per se.  Translations, commentary and
scholarly material is right in the protected range.

Protecting her ability to gain by her own work is good enough for me.

niccolo difrancesco