[Sca-cooks] Roux

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Aug 14 16:39:54 PDT 2008

Here are some others:

This is an excerpt from *Das Kuchbuch der Sabina Welserin*
(Germany, 16th century - V. Armstrong, trans.)
The original source can be found at David Friedman's website
<http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Sabrina_Welserin.html>

11 To make a yellow peppersauce. Make it as follows: Brown good flour in
fat, pour wine and meat broth in it, add seasonings to it. When it is a
fast day, however, then take pea broth instead of meat broth

and this one:

This is an excerpt from *Das Kuchbuch der Sabina Welserin*
(Germany, 16th century - V. Armstrong, trans.)
The original source can be found at David Friedman's website
<http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Sabrina_Welserin.html>

9 To make a yellow sauce for game or birds. First put fat in a pan and
fry some flour in it, then take some wine and three times as much of
broth and put it into the pan and add to it ginger and pepper and color
it yellow, then it is ready.

Johnnae