[Sca-cooks] Who gets in free to feasts.

Sharron Albert morgana at gci.net
Thu Aug 21 21:25:56 PDT 2008

>I live in a perishingly small barony, so by necessity most of us contribute
>to an event in some way.  The only people who get comped, however, are the
>Event Steward and Head Cook.  And any seated royalty/baronage that wishes
>it.  Just them, not the attendants, entourage, etc. We usually don't have a
>set "kitchen staff," so that's not an issue....
>--Maire

I, too, live in a small barony. We don't automatically comp anyone.
Even our baron and baroness pay event fees. We all know we need all
the fees for the expensive sites, and to build our funds at cheaper
sites so we can afford the more expensive ones. We're not talking big
amounts of money here: usually the fee is $5 or a tad more (not
includying NMS). Only our annual feast is more, around $15 for site
and food (and we usually lose a little money on that one).

We do not, however, argue with the prince and princess if they don't
pay, or the king and queen if they come and don't pay (although most
of them fork the event fee over and show their membership cards
without prompting, setting a good example). If they don't pay we just
quietly agree among ourselves they don't have good manners (G). But I
learned that 'paying' courtesy from early Westies like William the
Lucky and Hilary of Serendip, who not only paid out of their own
pockets to come visit Oertha's groups in our formative years, a lot
of times, but insisted on paying the event fee.

We do, however, trade scullery and other work for people who we know
can't afford the feasting event. It helps guarantee the cooks don't
have to do clean up too (G). Again, small group means small work
force, and we all work at events.

Morgana yr Oerfa
--
Wit is educated insolence. -Aristotle, philosopher (384-322 BCE)