[Sca-cooks] The Tiniest Little Gloat

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 18 22:59:24 PST 2008

Crap fish & chips places might put any ol' vinegar on the table.  This
place has proper malt vinegar, a sensible and thrifty side-product of
the beer industry.  "Alegar" might be the more precise term but most
people wouldn't understand that.

So Marc spoke for about 10 minutes about what they have done over the
past year, which is nothing too sexy and new but more like gathering
statistics, measurements of everything from the size of ovens to the
temperatures in the inside and outside of grilling meat.

He did talk about one interesting avenue of research, more of a side
trip really but most revealing of the 15th Century mind.  Phrase books
for travelers, which seem to reveal a lot about what the writers thought
a traveler needed to be able to say.  Particular one about travel to the
Holy Land, which included some interesting language choices such as
"Moorish".

I had fish and chips [one of the best in L.A.], Renata had bangers and
mash.  The sponge puddings were nice but nobody ever taught them how to
make trifle.  Seriously.  No cake at the bottom, just jelly with tinned
fruit cocktail in, and cream.  Nononono.

Marc schmoozed around all of the tables, and told us a funny joke about
Spanish cooking:  Rule number one, if it moves, fry it.  Rule number
two, if it doesn't move, fry it and see if it does.

Selene