[Sca-cooks] Juana la Loca

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Feb 27 12:13:24 PST 2008

I wouldn't characterize homicidal rage at the paramours of a roving husband
as being insane, although any good modern defense attorney would likely try
for temporary insanity.

As for the items, they could be artifacts of a strange but perfectly sane
system of religion and beliefs.  They are not necessarily any stranger than
some of the core beliefs in the world's major religions.

Bear

*****************
Regards Juana  as the victum of a "male plot" I seem to recall reading
about:
Fits of near homicidal rage at other women whom she viewed as rivals for her
husband's affection even after his death.
Refusal to allow the burial of her dead husband.
Attempts return her dear hubby to life through magic(?).
A madcap moonlight trek across Spain with the cadaver of her husband in tow.

This does not suggest to me that she was a model of sanity even viewed
against the remarkable excentricities exhibited by other European, most
notably the French, royalty.

Daniel