[Sca-cooks] Beverage experiments

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed Feb 13 16:20:03 PST 2008

At 03:16 PM 2/13/2008, you wrote:
> >  am boggled that somebody would even consider a hassle over the
> >consumption of coffee while camping or .. ... yeh.  Amazing.
>
>Whereas I am puzzled as to how a comment about whether something is
>out of period gets morphed into "a hassle over." It seems as though
>anytime anyone argues in favor of greater authenticity, the immediate
>assumption is that they are arguing in favor of rudeness.

Well, there's hassling, and there's hassling. My friends give me a
poke about stuff, but I know darn well that they have a cell phone in
that pouch (next to the digital camera) and we just grin and go on.
The real 'hassles' come from wannabes, I think because I'm not living
up to _their_ image of what a Laurel should be. It's nearly always
either the fact that I use a Coleman stove (I have asthma- if I'm
near open fire very long, I turn into a teakettle and all you'll get
out of me is wheezes) or the Supplex nylon my pavilion is made of (it
honestly looks like a heavy China silk, and I can handle it myself,
which I can't do with canvas, especially wet canvas). Yanno, I'm more
about creating good period food than I am about what I cook it over.
And I'd rather sleep in my nylon pavilion than the alternative- which
is either a dome tent or not camp at all.

Mostly I blow it off. The wannbees will get one courteous discussion
about how and why I make these compromises. After that they're on their own.

'Lainie
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than
our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore