[Sca-cooks] Caerthe's 12th night feast report LONG

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 05:23:52 PST 2008

Thanks!  It looks wonderful, and I may just have to try it the next time
Phillip is home....yes, he's still traveling about 80% of the time.  Sigh.
So that makes weekends really precious, trust me!

Kiri

On Jan 9, 2008 8:35 PM, Cat . <tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
> sure I will share.  Actually I plan to have the entire
> menu and recipes up on the web in the next week.  I
> will post the link when its ready but till then:
>
> Sausages in Pottage * Gwen Cats way
> and as usual, if you use it, please give credit.
>
> Take sausages, & fry them in butter, then take four or
> five peeled  apples & cut into small quarters, & four
> or five onions cut into rings,  & fry them in butter,
> & put all of them into a pot with the sausages, &  put
> therein nutmeg, cinnamon, with red or white wine,
> sugar, & let them  then all stew.
>
> * Recipe taken from
> http://www.medievalcookery.com/notes/ouverture.shtm "a
> rough translation of "Ouverture de Cuisine" based on
> this  transcription by Thomas Gloning et. al." (c) 2006
> Daniel Myers - This  electronic document may be freely
> reproduced for non-commercial  purposes as long as the
> copyright and this notice are included.
>
> Gwen Cat's Interpretation/re-creation as served at
> Grellans Vigil  September 8, 2006.
> 3 packs of King Soopers Bratwursts (were on sale, used
> 2 regular and  one Beer Brats)  5 large Gala apples,
> peeled and chunked into smallish bites. 5 smallish
> yellow onions (about the same size as the apples) cut
> into  rings 1/8-1/4" thick 1C red wine (had a partial
> bottle of Syrah that had been opened the  week before,
> so used that) .5 a nutmeg worth of fresh grated pinch
> (not too big) of ground cinnamon (I don't like it, so
> skimped)  and forgot the sugar.
>
> Sauted the whole brats in 1T of butter till browned
> outside, then cut  chunks and put them in a pot.
> Sliced and sautéed the onion in the same  frypan as
> the sausages then added to the pan.  Started to saute
> apples  but ran out of time so just tossed them in.
> Added the wine, spices and  let simmer for about an
> hour.  Would work well in the crockpot but saw  short
> on time, so did it stove top.  WAS FANTASTIC! (IMHO)
>
> In Service
> Gwen Cat
>

>  > Elaine Koogler wrote:
> > Any chance of getting the recipe?  I'm not just
> asking for use at a
>  feast,
> > but also because it sounds kind of like something I
> can eat for
>  dinner!
> >
> > Thanks!!
> > Kiri

Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
                   -- C.E. Lawrence