[Sca-cooks] A question pardon if it has been asked

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 18 13:20:29 PST 2008

Rastons are an enriched dessert bread that is more on the order of a stuffed
loaf than a bowl.  If you look at the evolution of rastons (restons) and
consider where the recipes appear, it is obvious that this was a special
treat rather than a common bread.

Another factor that everyone overlooks is the cost.  Bread trenchers are not
ubiquitous.  They are common only in the wealthiest of households, because
they are expensive.  If you look at Menagier, a rather wealthy man, bread
trenchers are only called for at a wedding and in limited quantity.  A
trencher loaf is smaller than a bread bowl, you can get two trenchers out of
a loaf, and you should be able to get longer use from a trencher than from a
bread bowl.

If you used just one loaf of trencher bread per person per day (and the
great households probably averaged 4 to 6 loaves per person per day),
calculated at the lowest cost for wheat in the Assiza Panis, it would cost 2
1/2 s. and 1/2 ton of flour per person per year.  Using two bread bowls per
day would likely be triple the cost of two trencher loaves.  As the great
households appear to have spent 25 to 30 per cent of their annual budgets on
bread, including trencher bread, using bread bowls would be a major increase
in costs.

There is a steady decline in the use of bread trenchers between the 14th and
17th Centuries, probably due to declining crop yields induced by the "Little
Ice Age" and the rising costs brought on by the climate and the reduction of
labor and land use brought on by the Plague.  This would also have an effect
on any bread bowls.

Bear