[Sca-cooks] salted fish

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jan 25 14:36:03 PST 2008

   Dragon <dragon at crimson-dragon.com> wrote:
> How did you utilize it?
> You did soak it and remove much of the salt, yes?

I was wondering this as well. I thought the entire siege cooking
competition only lasted a few hours. I didn't think you could get
enough of the salt out in one soak, and certainly wouldn't have
enough time for multiple soakings.

Then cailte replied with
<<< first i soaked it in water, then in milk, then in water,
then in milk, then in water yet again and was satisfied
with non-saltiness and suppleness.  i remembered watching
my mother soak salt cod in alternate water and milk, and i
thought, what the heck?

then i chopped it up, marinated it in wine with onion and
black pepper, and at the last added some home-made sour
cream (cream and white wine).  i may have added some
horseradish, but that might have been another seige
basket. >>>

So long did each of the soakings take?

<<< it turned out pretty good, IF you like pickled herring. >>>

After all that prep work did it look like fish? Or more like just
mashed up food of some indistinguishable type? Maybe this is the
recipe for those who don't like fish!

<<< but my hands smelt like fish for most of estrella. 8(
  even washing my hair didn't help. >>>

Sounds like washing your hands would have been more effective than
washing your hair. But maybe that's just the way things are done in
Atenveldt. What part do you wash if your feet smell like fish? :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com