[Sca-cooks] The Humors, Ginger and Meats

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 30 14:01:17 PST 2008

Greetings!  I have a question regarding humoral theory and the use of
ginger (galentyne) with beef.  Pork or pike seems to be used with
galentyne, but what about documented recipes using beef with ginger or
galentyne (Tudor times or earlier, English).  Is there something in humoral
theory that would make the medieval cook avoid using galentyne with beef?
Or was it done?  I've done a quick internet check and see that there are
many Oriental dishes with beef and ginger, but the quick look at
"galentyne" seemed to only bring up pork and pike.

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/