[Sca-cooks] yorkshire pudding

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 7 04:21:05 PDT 2008

On Jul 7, 2008, at 3:34 AM, Lilinah wrote:

> Sandra posted, in reply to Adamantius:

[I think this was in response to something found in the Florilegium;
the quote _looks_ like something I might have said but I'll have to
take people's word for it... ;-)  ]

<recipe snipped>
>> Phew - all one sentence!  So this isn't a (modern) "put the batter
>> in a pan
>> full of hot dripping and bake it" recipe, but something similar to
>> older
>> recipes of catching the juice dripping from meat as it roasts, but
>> with
>> batter in the pan instead of bread.  Also OOP, but older than I had
>> been
>> aware the name was in use.
>
> OK, i am mystified (What?! Again?!)
>
> The only way i have ever known to make Yorkshire pudding is to mix
> eggs, milk, flour, and seasonings and put it in a pan on a rack
> beneath a roast so the drippings fall into it. I don't remember
> where i got the recipe i used, but i know it didn't have all the
> spices that Hannah put in hers. Still, it was tasty.

Sounds like it. I think there are various issues to be considered, all
sort of peripheral to the question of whether our eat is being baked
in an oven (what we now call roasting) or actually roasted above (or
more usually in front of) a fire.

Yes, there are a whole lot of modern Yorkshire pudding recipes that
involve roasting meat in a pan, then using the drippings or other fat
to copiously lubricate some sort of baking pan and almost fry the
pudding (as with things like popovers).

> I did this back when i was learning to cook (and it was a rather
> small roast) in the winter of 1967 and had my first apartment (in
> Manhattan). Meant i had some cleaning to do in that oven, but it was
> an interesting experiment. I only ever had eaten roast beef and
> Yorkshire pudding in the spring of 1962 in London at Claridge's, all
> rich woods and Victorian atmosphere...
>
> I had no idea that people have been just baking batter mixed with
> drippings on its own! That seems like... like... well, like
> cheating...

Maybe, but there's a rationale. First of all, it's not cheating if
you're making Toad-In-The-Hole, is it? Secondly, if the pudding is
alone in the pan, you have more control over browned surface area and
pouffiness in general. Third, how to you make gravy with pan full of
pudding? Actually, you can, but it's harder.

I think James Beard had been an advocate (as much as he gets to be an
advocate for proper English cookery) of the separate-pan method since
the 60's or so...

> But, thanks for posting the recipe, Sandra. If i ever decided to do
> another roast at home, i'll give it a try with all those extra spices.

Not a lot of extra spices, really... ginger and nutmeg?

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter