[Sca-cooks] Chestnuts

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jul 7 16:01:31 PDT 2008

Gianotta asked about chestnuts:

<<< This past Saturday I dragged my mom to the local H&Y food market.
My main objective was Pocky, but I also picked up a bag of dried
chestnuts. The intent is to make a Tuscan chestnut and rice soup
(chopped, sauteed chestnuts, arborio rice, onions, chicken stock, bay
leaves, salt, pepper). But what are your favorite period entree
recipes with chestnuts? What are your favorite non-period chestnut
dishes?

Another question: Can you make chestnut flour from dried chestnuts,
or are they too hard to run through a food processor?>>>

This is the first I think I've heard of chestnuts being available
dried, so I don't know if any of the recipes given in this file can
be used with dried, rather than fresh, chestnuts but perhaps worth a
look.

This is in the FOOD section of the Florilegium:
chestnuts-msg     (36K)  1/20/08    Medieval harvesting and use of
chestnuts.
                                        Roasting. Recipes.

Your main objective was Pocky? What is "Pocky"?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com