[Sca-cooks] 101 Frightening Ice Cream Flavors From Around The World : Who Sucks

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Jul 17 07:11:44 PDT 2008

On Jul 17, 2008, at 9:24 AM, Georgia Foster wrote:

> I actually went through the flavor list with my housemate ... who
> just grimiced in the way he usually does when I discuss stuff like
> that.  His reactions were most .... amusing.

Well, that's really the thing, isn't it? While I have to admit I don't
look forward to a big bowl of squid ice cream myself, we need to
realize that we're not the intended market for these products, and
also that anything can be portrayed as anything within the range from
quaint to amusing to disgusting, if one wishes to do so, which the
people responsible for some of these websites clearly do.

Sweet potato ice cream? A third of the country, maybe more, thinks
nothing of sweet potato pie, not to mention the equally bizarre, when
you think about it, pumpkin pie. Same for some of the ice creams made
with various bean paste variations; how are they any more strange than
peanut butter?

Add to that the fact that wine ices, sorbets and granitas have become
pretty commonplace in the haute cuisine of many countries, including
the US, along with, to a lesser extent, garlic ices, curry ices, etc.
These dishes are filling a rather different niche than Howard
Johnson's VanChocStraw, and there's no reason they should apologize
for it or be considered especially amusing.

> Actually a few of the flavors (red wine or Sweet Potato) don't sound
> like they would be fully awful ... but the fish flavored ice
> creams ... I will have to take a pass.

Agreed. Luckily for the manufacturers of these products, there are
millions upon millions of people in the world who don't give a hoot
what Americans think is bizarre or tasty. And considering some of the
things Americans don't think bizarre and do think tasty, this might
not be such a bad deal for anyone...

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter