[Sca-cooks] Canisiones/Calisones

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Fri Jun 20 06:44:49 PDT 2008

Below is a small piece from a paper written for the 2001 Oxford
Symposium on Food and Cookery From Menu, to Recipe, to Meal: a
Renaissance Wedding Banquet by David S. Walddon. To give you a little
background the abstract is pasted in first

The quote at the beginning of the recipe is from the menu.

The translation is the authors. In footnote lists the six
corresponding recipes from the rest of the corpus.

These are YUMMY!

Eduardo

Abstract

  This paper explores the wedding banquet of Giovanni Giacomo
Trivulitio and Beatrice di Avolos d' Aquino. It then extends the menu
by pairing recipes from the Martino corpus with the descriptions from
the menu. These are recipes are followed by a modern redaction. All
sources are translated out of the original Italian and into ÒmodernÓ
English.  This progression from menu, to recipe, to meal gives the
reader a glimpse of social ritual and food customs of Renaissance Italy.

Recipe One

"First was given . . . certain cakes made of almonds and sugar
similar to marzipan"
LC.Martino #149[1]

Per far caliºcioni.

Renderai ºimil pieno — compoºitione, quale

E, la pr ºopraditta del marzapane, & ap

parichiarai la ºua paºta[2] laquale im

paºtarrai c› zuccharro, & acqua roºata, &

di ºtendi la ditta paºta amodo ch ºi uole

ººe far ravioli gli metterai di queºto pieno

facendoli grandi, — mezani, o, piccioli c›

mo tipari Et hauendo qualch forma de

ligno ben lavorata c› qualch gentile

za ’ formando li & premendoli di ºopra

pariranno piu belli avedŽr, Poi li farai

cocŽr ’ lapadella como il marzapane

hauendo bona diligentia ch n— fardino.

To make caliscioni[3]

Render them similarly filled or composed of the above said marzipan
[4] and prepare your pasta, which is kneaded with sugar and rose
water.  And spread the said pasta in the manner like raviolis are
made. Then place these filled made-things, big or medium or little,
as they seem to you.  And having some form of well worked line with
some dainties, form and press them from above so they appear more
beautifully made.  Then have them cooked in the pan like marzipan.
Having good diligence that they do not become open.

Marzipan Dainties

1 cup flour                                                2
teaspoons rose water

1 large egg                                                8 oz. pre-
made marzipan

2 teaspoons oil                                                1
beaten egg (optional)

a pinch of salt                                                2
tablespoons sugar (optional)

2 tablespoons sugar

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F (163 C).

In a large bowl make a well from the flour. In the middle place the
egg, oil, salt, sugar and flavoring. Beat the liquid ingredients with
a fork until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour into the
liquid. Once all are combined turn the dough out onto a floured
surface and knead until the dough becomes smooth and elastic. Roll a
quarter of the dough fairly thin with a pin or in a pasta mill.

Place a layer of dough in a ravioli form.  Place a small piece of
marzipan in each ravioli space.  Cover with more dough and press the
two pieces together with a rolling pin.  Repeat until all the dough
and marzipan are used up.

Although not specified in the original recipe these dainties are best
brushed with egg and sprinkled with sugar before baking them.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Serve warm
or at room temperature. Makes approximately 24.

Note: Rose water will vary greatly in strength from brand to brand.
Start out with a few drops and add until the fragrance and flavor are
enough. If rose water is unavailable or undesirable replace it with
orange, lemon or vanilla flavoring.

[1] VatMartino #146 ÒPer fare chaliscioniÓ, Riva #164 ÒPer fare
calisoniÓ, Platina...tr...Milham Bk. VIII #49 ÒRolls which they call
CanisionesÓ,  BŸhler 19 #161 ÒCalisoni boni Ò, Rosselli #188 ÒPer
fare caliscioniÓ, EP1598 #194 To make an Italian meat called Caliscioni
[2] The scribe has written over top of the original middle letters
with a long "s" and a "t".
[3] Florio Ð Calisoni, a kinde of comfets so called.
[4] In LCMartino the recipe immediately before this recipe is for
marzipan.

Food is life. May the plenty that graces your table truly be a VAST
REPAST.

David Walddon
david at vastrepast.com
www.vastrepast.com