[Sca-cooks] Replacing a pan...

Amy Cooper amy.s.cooper at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 10:59:56 PDT 2008

I have had a lovely set of Pampered Chef pans for about 5 or 6 years now, in
nonstick. They've worked well, except that my walled skillet, and smaller
saute pan are both having problems with the nonstick coating. I think this
is because they have been exposed to some pretty high heat levels over the
years, and have been used nearly every evening for dinner since my wedding
2.5 years ago.

I'm thinking I'd like to replace these pans at some point this year
(whenever budget may possibly allow), and I'm thinking of going stainless. I
like to make pan sauces and whatnot, and can easily soak any more
"cooked-on" messes. The other criteria I have is I'd like both pans to have
lids available, so that I can steam/braise foods, like sautee some chicken
breasts, but if they are too thick to cook through without burning, add some
water or broth to the pan, cover, and let simmer for a while to finish
cooking (and give me a sauce!).

Does anyone have recommendations for "bang for your buck" for these pans? I
can't spend a horribly large amount, but want quality for what I buy.
Stainless is not a forgone conclusion, but whatever finish has to be pretty
durable, as I use these pans just about every single day (and on weekends,
or for parties, multiple times in one day!)

Thanks for any recommendations!

Ilsebet