[Sca-cooks] Replacing a pan...from Isabella

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Mon Mar 17 13:12:42 PDT 2008

Good Milady:
We just replaced our large (12" or so) nonstick frying pan with a Farberware
Millennium nonstick, and we are delighted with it-it was about $40, and
worth every penny. We had a Calphalon nonstick that we were very unhappy
with, as the nonstick coating started flaking off within 6 months after
gettting it, despite the fact that we never ran it on high heat. So, we very
much disrecommend Calphalon nonstick, but we have a Calphalon stainless
saute pan, also about 12" that we are quite happy with-it has
straight-walled sides, a big glass lid, and can go in the oven as easy as on
the stove. It's got a big plate welded to the bottom, and has very good
thermal performance-and it's deep enough to put anything but very large
pieces of meat in. I I think it was about $40 too. In general, my
understanding is that heavier is better, when it comes to pots and pans-if
you whack someone upside the head with it (a frequent temptation to anyone
who lives with Daniel), they should be at serious risk of concussion. We
have a small enameled cast iron frying pan that we use for the occasional
hamburger or hot dog, but enameled cast iron gets stained and can chip over
time, so I don't think I'd recommend that for every day use-also, the French
stuff is way overpriced.
I don't know if you were planning on purchasing a set or open stock, but my
suggestion  would be to buy a piece or two open stock before you splash out
for a set. Avoid T-Fal at all costs; it's too light and does not wear well
at all.
Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Isabella de la Gryffin

Frank Zappa

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead.
Thomas Paine