[Sca-cooks] PAM stuff stripping off the seasoning on iron ware?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Mar 18 12:21:29 PDT 2008

Last Friday, Maire asked about non-stick pans and mentioned:

<<< For years, I've been making do just fine with 3 cast-iron frying
pans, but I've recently run into some issues with using them, and
would like to acquire a decent, 9-inch non-stick pan.  (Said reasons
being that I've noticed that the iron pans turn some of my chicken
dishes a really nasty grey, and also, as I'm on a diet and using a
spray oil for scrambling eggs and the PAM stuff is stripping the
seasoning right out of my cast iron.) >>>

We've discussed here previously that the pan material (iron or
copper) can change the color of the food cooked in it. But this is
the first I've heard that using PAM or other similar spray oil
products can strip off the, often hard won, seasoning on iron pots
and pans.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does it occur with just certain
brands of spray on oil? I'm wondering if this is a warning I need to
add to my  iron-pot-care-msg file.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas