[Sca-cooks] Hospitality references

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Mar 7 17:04:25 PST 2008

Aldyth asked:
<<< My student is teaching american history in Scotland and asked if
there were any books on hospitality, scottish or welsh preferable.?
Ideas for her? >>>

Like Adamantius, I'm not quite sure what you are looking for.

If you are looking for "commercial" or "community" hospitality, as in
Inns and Taverns, perhaps this Florilegium file in the ENTERTAINMENT
section might help:
taverns-msg       (52K)  5/25/06    SCA and period taverns.

Here are two books which I point out in a message I posted in that file:
Inns, Ales and Drinking Customs of Old England
Hackwood, Frederick W.
ISBN: 1-85170-069-2
Texas Bookman

Restaurateurs and Innkeepers (Work Througout History Series)
Franck, Irene M.
ISBN: 0-8160-1451-5
Work throughout history series
Facts on File, Inc.

I'm not sure if "Old England" covers Scotland or Wales, but it may.

These files in the TRAVEL section may cover hospitality along roads
and pilgrimage routes. Taverns and Inns are an outgrowth of what
started out as locals providing hospitality to those traveling
through their area.
travel-msg        (44K)  1/24/08    How much, how far, how fast did
the medieval
                                        person travel.
On-the-Road-art   (17K)  5/16/04    "On the Road – Medieval Style" by
Master Sir
                                        Connor MacAufflie FitzJames
and Mistress
                                        Siobhan ni Seaghdha.
p-tourism-art     (16K)  8/ 4/02    "Tourism in the Middle Ages and
Renaissance"
                                         by Baron Hrolf Herjolffsen OP.
p-travl-guides-msg (10K)  9/21/04    Period travel guides.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com