[Sca-cooks] Hospitality references

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Mar 7 17:03:37 PST 2008

Hospitality in the abstract, historic, or modern practice?

If modern, the only thing I can think of is a piece on Welsh hospitality
that popped up in the Spectator a while back.  It's been webbed at
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3724/is_200309/ai_n9294479

Historic hospitality, possibly Poseidonius's Histories or Tacitus's
Germania.  Poseidonius wrote a treatise on the Celts, but that is one of the
lost classics.  There are some seriously heavy texts on Brehon Law (Irish)
and some of the Scottish law derived from it, which are more easily located
across the pond, but I don't have the names readily available.

To my knowledge, one of the best sources for medieval hospitality practices
is Sir Gwain and the Green Knight.  There are a number of different
translations available.  The most relevant passages are from Gwain's arrival
at the castle and how he is greeted.

Bear