[Sca-cooks] A&S ENTRIES

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 9 20:48:51 PST 2008

Daniel suggested:

<<< Nice granite stones; i.e. beach cobbles, that is what I would use
rather
than bricks.  The snarky judges of my experience just might take off
if you
failed to document bricks, their manufacture and why you used modern
ones
rather than making some in period fashion just for the purpose.  >>>

And in a later message explains:
<<< Well I was speaking about what is done rather than what should be
done, i.e.
from the view of "The Prince" rather than "On Politics" (Aristotle).
That
and I was being a bit snarky myself.  I provide a more moderate
analysis of
judging philosophy in my article in the Flori...>>>

Okay, but I often heard suggestions about putting A&S food entries
onto fancy plates, perhaps in an intricate place setting with other
food items and wine and so forth, even if the one item is all that is
being judged, and not the entire place setting.

So if all we are judging, why not just place it on a plain plate?
And I've seen other A&S entries in other areas with all this extra as
well, so it isn't only something suggested for food items. So whether
Daniel was being snarky or not, I think he brings up a good question.
Should all this extra stuff even be in an A&S display, and if it
should be, how much is too much?  And is it truly the entry item
being judged or is it the entire display?

Stefan

PS: And if anyone has documentation on period bricks, I'd love to
consider it for the Flori. . . er, ah, the Florilegium.
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com