[Sca-cooks] FW: [TY] Elizabethan Turkey

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Tue Nov 25 10:39:45 PST 2008

I have tried a myriad of ways to cook a turkey -
brined, baked, steamed, roasted, smoked, grilled, rolled and stuffed,
and deep fried.

Our favorite way is deep fried. We rarely inject (we have but we
don't do it that way often). The meat is ALWAYS moist and beautiful.
The skin is crispy and delicious. It takes only an hour to do it! And
the extra oven space is much appreciated.

The only problem is the drippings for the gravy. I usually solve this
by cutting off the wings, taking out the giblets and roasting those
separately (sometimes getting turkey parts at the store as well). The
wings usually burn in the deep  fryer anyways!

The only other problem is that the stuffing tends to float to the top
of the deep fryer! :) JOKING don't stuff a deep fried bird!.

We will be deep frying on Thursday.

Since we are having friends from Finland and Germany for Thanksgiving
we are going to have the traditional stuff! Cranberry Sauce, Green
Beans, Candied Yams, Mashed Potatoes, Stuffing (Dressing! Who calls
it what?), My Gran's Carrot Casserole, Waldorf salad, Roasted
Brussels, Gravy, White Rolls, Pumpkin Pie and Pecan Pie.

Have I forgotten anything?

Eduardo

Food is life. May the plenty that graces your table truly be a VAST
REPAST.

David Walddon
david at vastrepast.com
www.vastrepast.com