[Sca-cooks] FW: [TY] Elizabethan Turkey

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 13:45:55 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 1:39 PM, David Walddon <david at vastrepast.com> wrote:

> I have tried a myriad of ways to cook a turkey -
> brined, baked, steamed, roasted, smoked, grilled, rolled and stuffed, and
> deep fried.
>
> Our favorite way is deep fried. We rarely inject (we have but we don't do
> it that way often). The meat is ALWAYS moist and beautiful. The skin is
> crispy and delicious. It takes only an hour to do it! And the extra oven
> space is much appreciated.

We love the deep-fried version as well...but we're doing a brined bird this
year.  The Washington Post had what looks to be a wonderful version of
brining that includes apples.  Can't wait to try it.

> Since we are having friends from Finland and Germany for Thanksgiving we
> are going to have the traditional stuff! Cranberry Sauce, Green Beans,
> Candied Yams, Mashed Potatoes, Stuffing (Dressing! Who calls it what?), My
> Gran's Carrot Casserole, Waldorf salad, Roasted Brussels, Gravy, White
> Rolls, Pumpkin Pie and Pecan Pie.

I often wonder why, even on FoodTV, they refer to the dish that's cooked
outside the bird as "stuffing".  I grew up being told that if it was cooked
inside the bird, it was stuffing...you know, stuffed inside the turkey.  If
cooked outside the bird, it was dressing.  Maybe it's southern thing...my
Mom came from 70 miles southeast of Atlanta, GA!

Kiri