[Sca-cooks] Flavors accompanying lamb or mutton

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 08:44:49 PDT 2008

Stefan quoted:
> "And yes, rosemary and mint are the most common and tasty accompanying
> spices for lamb (as long as you stay away from most nasty commercial
> mint jellies) but many other flavors go very well with it- juniper
> berries, as an example.
>
> Phlip"
    No necessarily. The use of herbs when preparing baby lamb or mutton
in England and Iberia has been governed by what the mother ewe eats or
the lamb eats to bring out the flavor of the milk or the meat. In
England, for example, sheep grazing in valleys where mint is abundant
can be cooked in water in which mint has been boiled. Those bred in the
mountains are seasoned with wild thyme. Mutton from the marshlands are
prepared with salt grass from estuaries and seaweed. Mutton from the
orchards of the Midlands were and still are served with red-currant
jelly and fruits sauces. The Hispano-Arabs seemed to have had more
variety of spice and herb combinations such as salt, pepper, coriander,
saffron, cinnamon, lavender, oil and other spices on hand or Chinese
cinnamon, lavender, cloves, saffron and pepper.
    Today the problem is that we don't know where lamb comes from that
we buy in the supermarket. Even it is says it is from New Zealand it
does not give the area. As a result when not making couscous, I cheat by
assuming the lamb was raised in a mint filled valley as I like mint so much!
    Thank you all for your nice mint sauce/jelly recipes. We shall try
the sauce with apple vinegar today as we have it that on hand.
Suey