[Sca-cooks] Manchet Size/Weight

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Oct 15 14:10:10 PDT 2008

The definition as given by the glossary at Prospect Books reads:
"MANCHET BREAD: Fine bread made from the best wheat and the whitest
flour available. Made in small loaves weighing 6 to 8 oz. Manchet was
the bread of the privileged. (John Nott, 1726) "
http://www.florilegium.org/?http%3A//www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/brd-manchets-msg.html
has more information.
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/custom.html  has information on
weights and measures.

Here commonly an ounce ought to be the avoirdupois ounce which is 7000/16.

Johnnae