[Sca-cooks] scallops

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 10:42:13 PDT 2009

I buy often scallops imported from the US or from Spain/France. The scallops
are from Galicia and they are called "vieyras" in Galician. In France they
are called "coquilles St Jacques", because the shell was given to the
pilgrims going to Santiago de Compostela in the Middle Ages, to pray at the
shrine of the apostle Jacob, who the legend says arrive to Galicia in a
raft, several hundred of years after he died in Judea.
It's very seldom they are sold fresh here. A cook gave me a good hint, when
you defroze them put them over a piece of tissue or a sponge or thick paper,
to dry them out. In that way theyy lose their water before they hit the pan.
Ana
--
http://anavaldes.wordpress.com
http://passagenwerk.wordpress.com

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long
to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci