[Sca-cooks] Honey Butter

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 03:28:45 PDT 2009

They may have been available to those with access to major libraries that
had copies of these books, but to most of us they weren't.  I think the
first actual cookbook I saw was "How to Cook Forsoothly," an SCA publication
with recipes of questionable authenticity (though the pea soup recipe is
still one of my favs!!)  I did get a copy of the cookbook anthology that
Your Grace put together, but my copy was at best a fourth generation copy,
had four ms pages to a page and was pretty much unreadable.  Then a friend
of mine at Virginia Tech managed to get me copies of several books, but the
only actual period book was an early translation (not great) of Platina.  I
also acquired, at that time, a copy of Fabulous Feasts.  And I had a much
larger library at that point, than did most!  I became aware of such books
as "To the King's Taste," "To the Queen's Taste" and "Dining with William
Shakespeare," though it was a long time before I actually acquired copies of
these.

So yes, we did grab whatever we thought was period or whatever we got from
the cooks we learned from (locally, we learned from Sir Tojenareum Grenville
of Devon, whom Your Grace probably knows!).  But I think most of us have
also "grabbed" any new sources as we became aware of them!

Kiri