[Sca-cooks] Scotch Eggs- rebuttal

Betsy Marshall betsy at softwareinnovation.com
Tue Aug 4 12:33:08 PDT 2009

And from this side of the pond comes....
>From the newsletter "Tasting table"- (found on Facebook)
Egg Hunt
Chefs reinvent a decadent bar snack

What could possibly turn the Scotch egg--a cooked egg wrapped in sausage and
bread crumbs, then deep-fried--into an even more decadent dish? A bunch of
bar food-obsessed chefs, who are upping the ante by draping eggs in
everything from boudin to caviar.

"Scotch eggs are such wonderfully horrible, delicious things," says Chip
Flanagan, the chef at Ralph's on the Park in New Orleans, who just debuted a
Cajun-inspired adaptation (pictured). He soft-boils the egg so the yolk
stays runny, then wraps it in boudin--the iconic Cajun pork-and-rice
sausage--before frying it and serving it over a salad dressed with
pepper-jelly vinaigrette, which mixes with the yolk to create a sublime
dressing. The result is a brilliant riff not only on Scotch eggs, but also
on Louisiana's famous deep-fried boudin balls.

In New York, chef Erik Battes at Perry Street gives the Scotch egg an
equally over-the-top treatment: He deep-fries a panko-crusted poached egg,
tops it with a scoop of American sturgeon caviar and serves it on buttery
brioche rounds along with vodka-infused crème fraîche and a
chervil-tarragon-dill salad.

Purists looking for more traditional Scotch eggs (which reputedly originated
in England, not Scotland) are in luck too: Straight-up versions are a hit at
buzzy newcomer The Original in Portland, Oregon; at Cakes & Ale in Decatur,
Georgia; and at NYC's pubby Wilfie & Nell.

And at Chicago restaurant The Bristol, chef-owner Chris Pandel fries pork
sausage-stuffed olives with a lemony crème fraîche. His popular "Scotch
olives" are just like Scotch eggs--except, of course, for the egg part.