[Sca-cooks] Old copper pot needs TLC
phlip at 99main.com
Thu Aug 13 14:13:54 PDT 2009
If there's THAT much verdigris, rather than scrubbing, let it soak in
heated vinegar for a while, and spend an afternoon doing other chores,
and giving it an occasional scrubbing until it comes clean. Elbow
gease is wondrous stuff, and can't be beaten for some applications,
but lazy blacksmiths hve long learned the uses of heat for stimulating
various chemical rections ;-)
On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Cheri or Anne<celticcheri at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Okay. It's going to take a lot to clean it to where there is not visible green :) Isn't what vinegar will do amazing?
> I make my own paint with pigments (and I use vinegar, chalk & copper wire to make green pgiment) and am aware that this is a pigment that one must be careful handling.
> Go softly and gently for those you meet here will be
> those you know hereafter."
> --- On Thu, 8/13/09, Saint Phlip <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:
> From: Saint Phlip <phlip at 99main.com>
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Old copper pot needs TLC
> To: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
> Date: Thursday, August 13, 2009, 3:10 PM
> Regardless of which acid you use, the pot will be safe to eat out of
> as long as there's no visible green. You're not talking an immediate,
> deadly poison here, that a microgram of which will drop you deader
> than a doornail in seconds, but a mild poison that would require a
> fair amount to make you ill, let alone dead, barring an unusual
> allergy that would require that you not use copperware in the first
> place. If a copper pot looks clean, it's safe to eat out of.
> Sca-cooks mailing list
> Sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org
Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.
It's the smith who makes the tools, not the tools which make the smith.
.I never wanted to see anybody die, but there are a few obituary
notices I have read with pleasure. -Clarence Darrow
More information about the Sca-cooks