[Sca-cooks] a favorite dish to prepare in advance

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 22 20:28:39 PDT 2009

On Aug 22, 2009, at 11:11 PM, Judith Epstein wrote:

>>> This version is from Lorna Sass's "To the King's Taste".
>>>
>>> 2 large capon/chicken breasts, or the equivalent in dark meat
>>> chicken - thighs, etc
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> 1 T butter or oil (optional)
>>>

> I hope this wasn't purported to be a kosher recipe. Butter doesn't
> belong anywhere near chicken, per laws of kashrut. One would use
> chicken fat or olive oil with meat, not a dairy product.

It's probably not in the original medieval recipe, anyway. My
suspicion is that the original wouldn't be especially concerned with
the limitations of Kashrut (as I recall there's a spoonful of "grease"
added -- honestly, this is probably rendered pork fat -- to keep the
rice or rice flour from cooling to a gummy skin). On the other hand,
having a fair idea of what it's there for allows us to provide an
informed substitution, such as olive or nut oils.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter