[Sca-cooks] Preserving peaches

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Aug 25 18:27:29 PDT 2009

I took a look at the 1633 edition of The herball or Generall historie of
plantes. Gathered by Iohn Gerarde of London.
It's the one online so it's easy to use. He lists in Chapter 94 the
following kinds:

"THere are diuers sorts of Peaches besides the foure here set forth by
our Author, but the trees do not much differ in shape, but the
difference chiefely consists in the fruit, whereof I will giue you the
names of the choice ones, and such as are to be had from my friend M^r .
Millen in Old-street, which are these; two sorts of Nutmeg Peaches; The
Queenes Peach; The Newington Peach; The grand Carnation Peach; The
Carnation Peach; The Blacke Peach; the Melocotone; the White; The
Romane; The Alberza; The Island Peach; Peach du Troy. These are all good
ones. He hath also of that kinde of Peach which some call Nucipersica or
Nectorins, these following kindes; the Roman red, the best of fruits;
the bastard Red; the little dainty green; yellow; the white; the russet,
which is not so good as the rest. Those that would see any fuller
discourse of these may haue recourse to the late worke of M^r . Iohn
Perkinson, where they may finde more varieties, and more largely
handled, and therefore not necessarie for me in this place to insist
vpon them."

He mentions a red peach, the Persica praecocia, or the d'auant Peach, a
white peach, and a Persica lutea, or the yellow Peach.

Hope this helps,

Johnnae