[Sca-cooks] Preserving peaches

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Aug 25 19:05:35 PDT 2009

Of course the Herball could be looked up and used in this edition
/The herball or Generall historie of plantes. Gathered by Iohn Gerarde
of London Master in Chirurgerie/, Imprinted at London : by [Edm.
Bollifant for [Bonham Norton and] Iohn Norton, 1597.
but it's late and it's much easier to just look up, cut and paste from
the 1633 when it's this late.

Since I am still online with the university, I just took a look under
"peach" and "cookery" and came up with
this one recipe from Dawson's 1587 The good husvvifes ievvell.

To make all maner of fruit Tartes.

YOu must boile your fruite, whether it be apple, cherie, peach, damson,
peare, Mulberie, or codling, in faire water, and when they be boyled
inough, put them into a bowle, and bruse them with a ladle, and when
they be cold, straine them, and put in red wine or claret wine, and so
season it with suger, sinamom and ginger.

There are a few more indexed under peach at medievalcookery.com

Johnnae