[Sca-cooks] Medieval Indian cooking

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 9 05:26:20 PST 2009

I am sorry, Madhavi, but you have me very confused.  When several people mentioned the Ni'matnama as Mughal, you went into a rant about how the manuscript and the people of Mandu were not Mughal.

When Cariadoc just asked what other _Mughal_ cookbooks there were other than the Ain I Akbari, because your rant seemed to indicate that there were more within period sources, you now have recommended the Ni'matnama as being a good source for _Mughal_ recipes.  I am sorry, but you cannot have it both ways.  Either it is Mughal or it is not.  Make up your mind.  In case you can't remember what you have said, I have included his Grace's question and your response to him down below.

I have used the Ni'matnama several times for various SCA lunches and banquets.  I was so happy to find that samosas were period and without the ubiquitous capsicum peppers.  Here is a prime example of a food name that continues for five+ centuries and changes as the people and their tastes change.  The same goes for vindaloo from Goa.  It starts out as a Portuguese pork dish made with garlic and vinegar called Vindalho and with the introduction of capsicums to India becomes now the extremely hot pork and peppers dish.  One could serve the dish called Vindalho at an SCA banquet because it can be traced back to Portugal pre-1600 [according to Madhur Jaffrey] but not Vindaloo.

Huette