[Sca-cooks] "Correct" pies

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 9 08:19:11 PST 2009

A couple of people have asked what I meant by "correct" pies.

I simply mean double crust pies or, better yet, pies in the familiar

medieval porkpie shape. Rather like a small bag with a top and

crimped edge. They are a little more work but they really add to

the medieval feel of the dinner.

If not the "bag" shape then at least double crust. I haven't seen

very many examples in period of the single crust tarts we commonly

use. Yes, I know of examples of tarts but most pies, especially

meat pies, were at least double crust.

Besides, a double crust pie with simple decorations are always so

much prettier than the regular single crust tart.

Gunthar