[Sca-cooks] Hello, Intorducing myself

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 9 15:06:01 PST 2009

Judith wrote:
>On 9 Dec 2009, at 2:57 PM, Antonia Calvo wrote:
>  > Craig Daniel wrote:
>  >> Of course, that cuisine wouldn't include any versions with hogs even
>  >> if a thousand new sources turned up for it, considering the dominant
>  >> religious beliefs of the area...
>  >
>  > You never know. Presumably Spanish Christians continued to eat pork.
>
>They did. As it was told to me (told verbally, in a synagogue class
>for which of course there was no note-taking because it took place
>on Shabbat, so no, I can't document it), pork eating was one of the
>ways that the Jewish conversos to Catholicism had to prove their new
>allegiance to Christianity and their abandonment of their
>Jewishness; Inquisitors would look specifically for evidence that
>someone eschewed pork (among other things, of course).

Theres loads of evidence for that. No need for you to take notes on
the Shabbat.

I think what was under discussion was the period of Muslim control.

 From what i've read, i would expect that pork was not available for
sale in cities under Muslim control, in which Muslims, Jews, and
Christians lived. However, in isolated Christian villages life could
have been different, and pigs in evidence and on the table.

Conversely, even after the end of the Reconquista in 1492, there
continued to be isolated Muslim villages for around a century or a
bit more. Naturally, as the villages were discovered, the Muslim
inhabitants were forced either to convert to Christianity or to flee.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita