[Sca-cooks] pork side note- was:Hello

Raphaella DiContini raphaellad at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 9 15:55:42 PST 2009

An amusing side note to this was how Venice managed to smuggle it's saint. In 828 two venetian merchants smuggled relics believed to be the remains of St. Mark out of Alexandria by hiding them in a barrel of pork so they would not be inspected or disturbed by Muslim officials.

So according to this much repeated and depicted tale they were allowed to transport pork in a Muslim area, but an observant Muslim would not even touch it, or so the saint smugglers apparently trusted in.

In joyous service,
Raffaella