[Sca-cooks] Medieval Indian cooking

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Dec 9 23:21:26 PST 2009

>I am quite surprised that you had never come across pre-1600
>descriptions for samosas before reading the Nimatnama, there are two
>samosa recipes in the Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook, one in the Baghdad
>Cookery Book, and another in the Description of Familiar Foods.

Also ...

Qutab or Sanbusa
Ain I Akbari no. 20

Qutab, which the people of Hind call sanbusa:
This is made in several ways. 10 s. meat; 4 s.
fine flour; 2 s. ghee; 1 s. onions; 1/4 s. fresh
ginger; 1/2 s. salt; 2 d. pepper and coriander
seed; cardamons, cumin seed, cloves, 1 d. of
each; 1/4 s. of summaq. This can be cooked in
twenty different ways, and gives four full dishes.

No instructions, but my guess is that it's the
same as the Andalusian Sanbûsak, which I take to
be something similar to, and linguistically
connected with, modern samosas.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com