[Sca-cooks] A couple of questions-

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Dec 12 23:04:16 PST 2009

On Dec 13, 2009, at 1:54 AM, Stephanie Yokom wrote:

> I think serving pasta with butter, fresh grated parmesan, some parsley with
> cracked pepper would be a better idea anyway.  Not so heavy, especially if
> your meat dish is heavy.  Besides, kids like pasta like that and they would
> eat it! (My daughter would probably take the whole bowl and hold it for
> ransom!)
>
> But I was curious about how the whole cream sauce came about and now I know-
> Alfredo in 1927...2 years after my grandfather was born!

Cream is sometimes added to emulsified sauces to help keep them from "breaking", and also to simulate the quality of certain grades of butter, to create a certain effect. But it wasn't in the original dish.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter