[Sca-cooks] Labneh as a substitute for "cream cheese"

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 11:03:53 PST 2009

I guess it's the same but made in different ways, with different blends of
herbs, as the Indian curry. In Syria they have zhatar or zaatar from Aleppo,
one from Damascus and the one I know most is eaten in Jordan and in
Palestine, that's the one with thyme, "RECIPES FOR YOUR PALESTINIAN ZA'ATAR
Za’atar is made from thyme, the much appreciated and locally- loved plant is
found throughout the hills of Palestine. Za'atar represents the daily
Palestinian breakfast – served with freshly baked bread and olive oil it is
the vegemite of Palestine. Canaan's Za'atar is cultivated by Canaan's olive
growers and prepared by women-owned cooperatives with roasted organic local
sesame seeds and sumac, a favorite Palestinian spice.
Za'atar is a versatile blend of natural spice that can be used on meats,
vegetables and breads."
Ana

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Judith Epstein <judith at ipstenu.org> wrote:

> On 13 Dec 2009, at 12:50 PM, Ana Valdés wrote:
>
> > I had labneh with pita bread, olive oil and zathar in Damascus last
> month,
> > it was wonderful!
> > It's the typical Palestine/Middle East peasant breakfast. Zathar is made
> of
> > thyme and other herbs and it tasted wonderful together with the lebnah
> and
> > the olive oil!
> > Ana
>
> Any relation to za'atar, which is predominantly hyssop, sesame seeds, and a
> handful of other dried ground herbs?

http://anavaldes.wordpress.com
http://passagenwerk.wordpress.com
http://caravia.stumbleupon.com
http://www.crusading.se
Gondolgatan 2 l tr
12832 Skarpnäck
Sweden
tel +468-943288
mobil 4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long
to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci