[Sca-cooks] Starlings and quick loaf breads

Sandra J. Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Fri Dec 25 12:26:40 PST 2009

> What is the difference between starlings and grackles?  In Dallas there
> are tons of grackles that are in the trees downtown, especially in
> the summer.  They are a menace!

Starlings are smaller (bigger than a sparrow, but smaller than a robin),
chunkier birds with a stubby tail.  They also can whistle and sing, after
a fashion.  Grackles (and in Dallas, they're likely to be greater
boat-tailed grackles) are much larger and more slender, and have a very
long tail and sort of squawk.  They are indeed a menace.  One took a
disliking to my sister's cat (understandable), and dive-bombed it whenever
the cat approached the tree the grackle was in.

Sandra