[Sca-cooks] "Bojal" wheat

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 13:27:15 PST 2009

Antonia di Benedetto Calvo wrote:

>> OK, a very quick search on my part suggests that Catalan blat bojal =
>> Spanish trigo redondillo = English durum wheat = Triticum turgidum.
>> http://books.google.com/books?cd=2&id=hQ9dAAAAMAAJ&dq=trigo+bojal&q=bojal#search_anchor
>>

> Further reference, if you can stumble along in Catalan
> http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triticum

I appreciate so much all your endeavors. Its so nice of you to go to all
this trouble for me.
I think we are thinking along the same lines this pm. I junked my
apotheosis about red or Sarcenan wheat and went to hard wheat because
bojal comes from boj which in English is box wood known for its
hardness. So we have hard wheat in the 8th century BC with the
Celtiberians - this is where the Wikipedia term came up - 'bojal wheat
in this period was produced less than common wheat, barley or
germinating spelt.'
Durum wheat does not seem to arrive in Spain until the 8th C AD with the
Muslims.
Unfortunately I do not have a copy of Font Quer but hope to go to the
National Library soon here where they have one and not too many pages
are torn out! Perhaps they can say more but still I am searching on
internet. My personal library has nothing as far as I can see.
Is there a way for Wikipedia to answer this query?
Suey