[Sca-cooks] 'Tis the season...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Dec 31 18:07:45 PST 2009

On Dec 31, 2009, at 7:37 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Anyone know how the lutefisk they sell compares to the "real thing"? Or since it is frozen is it fairly close? The comments on canned haggis for instance, seem to universally say it doesn't come close to the real thing.

The frozen product is the real thing; it has just been frozen. To make the real thing from scratch, you have to soak dried cod in water, then in water mixed with lye (the all-important lute part), then in fresh water to remove the lye.

Then, since it is no longer dried nor salted nor in any other way preserved, it must either be eaten immediately or frozen. Probably almost any conceivable damage that freezing will do to the flavor and texture of the fish has already been done.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter