[Sca-cooks] Emblem books was Il famoso convito 1561

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Dec 3 11:03:35 PST 2009

Continuing to explore the Internet Archive, here's a 17th century
emblem book.
http://www.archive.org/details/devisesetembleme00lafeu

DEVISES ET EMBLEMES ANCIENNES & MODERNES, TIREES DE PLUS CELEBRES
AUTEURS - LA FEUILLE, DANIEL DE, 1640-1709
McGeary & Nash. Emblem books at the University of Illinois

(The fact that it just happens to be from Illinois where my degrees
are from....)

I can see these designs being used to create items in sugar paste or
marizpan
or for creating appropriate wooden molds for small cakes and suchlike.
(They are also great for use in creating needlework designs. See
Emblems for a Queen: The Needlework of Mary Queen of Scots)

There are 108 other emblem books up.

Johnnae