[Sca-cooks] Fyletts in Galentyne

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Dec 7 05:04:01 PST 2009

Greetings!  The recipe below is from the Pynson "Boke of Cokery" from
1500 (recently posted on the Tudor Cook blog site).

To make fyletts in galentyne take the beste of rybbes of porke & flee of
the skynne & rost the fleshe tyll it be almost ynough than take it of &
chop it in peces & put it in a potte with onyons butter or fayre grece
and hole clowes maces quibybes and do it togyder with a cruste and trye
it through a streynor & white wyne and do therto pouder of peper and put
it in the potte and when it boyeth lette it not be chargeaunt & season
it up with pouder of gynger & salt & serue it.

Here is an almost identical version from another book which I copied
from Doc's web site:

Source [ A NobleBoke off Cookry, Robina Napier (ed.)]: To mak felettes
in galentyne tak of the best of ribbes of pork and fley of the skyn and
put the flesshe upon a broche and rost it till it be almost enoughe then
tak it of and chope it in peces and put it in a pot with onyons butter
and faire grece hole clowes maces quybibes and put it to gedur with a
crust of bred and try it through a strener with whit wyne put ther to
pouder of peper and put it in the pot and when it boilithe let it not be
chargant and sesson it up with poudre of guingere and salt it and serue it.

My question is - How many of you have made this dish?  That is, this
specific dish with white wine, spices, and powdered ginger, not a
different version of fylettes/fyletts in galentyne?  A comment had been
made to me that the Pynson version probably hadn't been made for 500
years, but I know that you all delve into many different dishes, and the
Pynson version is really the same as the "Napier" recipe.  So, who has
played with this dish and how did you like it?

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com