[Sca-cooks] Fyletts in Galentyne

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Dec 7 05:38:02 PST 2009

Oh, dear! Where to begin?

We indexed 8- eight - versions of fyletts in galentine in the
Concordance of English Recipes.
It's not that uncommon a recipe by any means.

(There are 34 recipes total in the galentine section. For a paper on
the topic of galentines see
"Of Pike and Pork) Wallowing in Galentine" by Hieatt and Terry Nutter
that appeared in
the 1997 Oxford Symposium on Food and Cookery.)

Let's see-- There's versions in the FoC, Harl. 279, and the Beinecke
mss. Here's one from the
Liber Cure Cocorum. This is Cindy Renfrow's translation.

79. Fillets in Galentine.

Take fillets of pork and half-roast them,
Smite them in pieces without boast;
Strain a mixture of blood and bread withal,
Add vinegar thereto, I know you shall;
Season it with powder of cinnamon, or good ginger,
Seethe it with the flesh, all together;
Salt and serve forth, then
Set it in hall before good men.

Cindy would also have included this recipe in her Take a Thousand Eggs
or More because she included the Harl 279 in that set.

The question would be how different are the surviving recipes? A
survey of the recipes would be pretty easy to assemble. Start with the
Concordance and pull the recipes. How different is the Pynson recipe
from the LCC recipe, for instance? If they are all much the same, then
of course the recipe has been made in the past 500 or 600 years.

Johnnae