[Sca-cooks] Fyletts in Galentyne

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Dec 7 06:05:06 PST 2009

Oh as a bibliographer of early English printed books,  I also don't
understand
"A comment had been made to me that the Pynson version probably hadn't
been made for 500 years."

2010 minus 500 years is 1510. Does someone really believe that Pynson
wasn't used for cookery after 1510???

Pynson appears in 1500 in an unknown number of copies. We know that
the same title appeared in an edition again in the 1530's. So we have
two editions that would have been available. Be conservative and say
300 copies per printing. That would be 600 total. There could have
been as many as 500 copies per edition. The fact that it was reprinted
in the 1530's indicates that the printer thought there was a market
for the new edition.

And someone doesn't think this recipe would have been made in the past
500 years?

Perhaps saying the last 400 years might be better.

Johnna