[Sca-cooks] I posed these questions to my kingdom....

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Dec 7 14:25:44 PST 2009

On Dec 6, 2009, at 10:46 PM, Stephanie Yokom wrote:

> 1.  What dishes and/or foods will make you want to go and feast?

Well-prepared, well-seasoned period dishes that demonstrate that the cooks see a role for what they're doing in the overall recreation process (rather than just feeding people any old warm, substantial food). Documentable period sources a plus.

> 2.  What don't you like to see served at a feast?

Honey butter, roast beef, and roast chicken (I served two out of the three at my last feast, not really intentionally) I enjoy them, and don't see any compelling need to see them again any time soon at an SCA event unless it's some kind of retro-SCA-anthropology-themed event. There are just too many unexplored avenues to be taken to rely too heavily on the old standbys.

> 3.  What would you like to see served more at feast?

Fish dishes, less-mainstream meat cuts, organ meats, oxtail, etc.

> 4.  How many courses do you think is a proper feast?

Most events aren't structured for more than two or three. If the feast is an almost-all-day affair, you can get away with more.

> 5.  What is your favorite country or region to taste dishes from?

I don't really have one. Any region the cooks and servers are capable of making me believe I have visited the cuisine of, is fine with me. I'm a sucker for that 14th and 15th-century English and French food, though...

> 6.  Would you want to see other country's period dishes represented that are
> beyond the traditional SCA borders? (Chinese, Arabic,etc.)

I wouldn't be bothered by it occasionally, but not on a regular basis.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter