[Sca-cooks] Question for Adamantius?

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 05:24:02 PST 2009

In a way, that's not surprising...one of my students spoke with some
Japanese teachers who were spending the summer with her and asked about
period food in Japan.  She was astounded to discover that they couldn't
figure out why we cared about their food history...and they said that they
eat now pretty much what was eaten then.

On the other hand, we have Dame Hauviette d'Anjou, a Laurel from the
Midrealm (for those of you who don't remember her from this list) who also
does extensive research on Middle Eastern cuisine, specializing in that of
Turkey.  And the folks from the Turkish Cultural Foundation are absolutely
thrilled with her work.  For anyone who is interested in having some period
recipes from Turkey, she does have an e-book out that includes a number of
documented period recipes, along with videos demonstrating method.

I also make sure that all of the dishes I serve at our local Middle Eastern
event are documented as being period.  I have even attempted in past years
to concentrate on specific areas of the Middle East...last year, we did
Andalusia.  In the past we've concentrated on Turkey, Mughal, Mongol and
Persian.  This year we're doing an assortment of dishes from different
cuisines.

Our autocrat and I are going to al-Hafla, an event that has been held for
many years in either the East or (as is the case this year) in Aethelmarc.
I'll be curious to see what food shows up there.

Anyone on this list is more than welcome to attend our event...it's schedule
for February 27 and will be held in southeastern Maryland.  I'd love to see
each and every one of you there.  If you do plan to come, let me know...and
do stop by the kitchen and say hello.

Kiri