[Sca-cooks] Middle Eastern clothing and food

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Dec 9 17:11:52 PST 2009

>Urtatim commented:

><<< I mean no slight to Stefan's Florilegium, which is a wonderful
>resource, but it, too, often ends up providing non-period recipes. >>>
>
>Thank you. I provide what I can get. If I can get period recipes
>then those get preference. I'd prefer to see traditional Middle
>Eastern foods than steak and potatoes. I would love to be able to
>make some translated Middle Eastern manuscripts from period works
>available or more recipes.
>
>I do have this file:
>E-Arab-recip-art  (48K)  3/23/03    Early Arab recipes prior to the
>13th Century by Anahita.
>http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/E-Arab-recip-art.html
>
>And this one:
>ME-revel-fds-art  (59K) 10/22/04    Medieval Middle Eastern foods
>suitable for a revel or buffet w. recipes by Anahita.
>http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/ME-revel-fds-art.html
>
>So hopefully folks are making use of these.

I have all of the anonymous andalusion on my web page, and there must
be fifty to a hundred worked out recipes from period Islamic sources
in the _Miscellany_.

What has long bothered me about "middle-eastern" in the SCA context
is that it generally means "dancing and drumming." Both, so far as I
can tell, are in practice based mostly on 20th century practice. I'm
happy to hear that something period is creeping in, at least to the
Hafla.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com